Part IV Cloze (10%)
Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage, and for each blank there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D at the end of the passage. You should choose ONE answer that best fits into the passage. Then blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
We have quite a bit of information about ancient Egyptian medicine. Doctors' instructions have been found to tell us56they did for the sick and the injured.57many of the treatments included magic, ancient Egyptians used plant leaves and other methods to treat many58.
Religion, magic and medicine were59related in ancient Egypt. Some priests (牧师) were specially60as doctors to61the sick and the injured. Doctors were held to a high moral standard. Patients was treated with62and their63information was highly secret. The highest-ranking doctors were priests of the goddess Sekhmet,64controlled illnesses. Doctors spent a part of each year65the goddess. Doctors were thought to be66to the gods and able to ask them for healing.
Temples were centers for healing.67a person was ill, he or she would come to the temple or68a doctor for a diagnosis (诊断). A(n)69problem was treated with medicine, prayer and magic. If a clear cause was not70, the diagnosis would be that the illness was caused by an evil spirit or cUrse. The doctor would use magic spells to71a cure.72 , a diagnosis could not be reached.73this case, a patient would be told to rest for a period of time74another examination could be 75.
56. A. whatB. whyC. thatD. which
57. A. WhenB. SinceC. AlthoughD. After
58. A. damages B. diseasesC. disastersD. destructions
59. A. hardlyB. closelyC. mainlyD. shortly
60. A. trainedB. designedC. plannedD. studied
61. A. look toB. come toC. care for D. search for
62. A. reputationB. inspectionC. fameD. respect
63. A. illB. ownC. hiddenD. personal
64. A. that B. whichC. whoD. what
65. A. servingB. reading C. learning D. following
66. A. carefulB. generousC. meanD. close
67. A. BeforeB. WhenC. UntilD. Since
68. A. think overB. apply to C. call for D. make up
69. A. seriousB. internal C. oddD. obvious
70. A. treatedB. discoveredC. curedD. aroused
71. A. bring aboutB. set outC. insist onD. make up
72. A. Subsequently B. Consequently C. Occasionally D. Hopefully
73. A. WithB. In C. ForD. On
74. A. untilB. whenC. althoughD. because
75. A. decided B. performedC. carried D. discussed