1. This camera is so easy to use; _____ a child could take good pictures with it.
A. yet B. even
C. but D. since
2. _____ of the figures seems correct. Would you check them carefully?
A. Neither B. Both
C. Either D. All
3. He had hardly left the building _____ the bomb exploded.
A. than B. before
C. when D. after
4. They have different views on the comment- _____ the daughter sees it as criticism, the mother takes it as praise.
A. why B. how
C. where D. if
5. This plan probably won’t work either- but you must do _____ to help her.
A. a thing B. something
C. things D. nothing
6. I would rather you _____ this to him yourself. When I tried to speak to him last time, he didn’t listen.
A. say B. will say
C. said D. would say
7. For most people, common cold is a mild illness _____ they will quickly recover.
A. over that B. over which
C. from that D. from which
8. We definitely are not the perfect couple, _____ we don’t pretend to be so.
A. and B. or
C. for D. because
9. Could you please tell me where _____ find Professor Smith? His wife has just called his office.
A. I can B. can I
C. would I D. I would
10. Everything _____ very different if your father were alive.
A. is B. will be
C. was D. would be
11. _____ would be wonderful to be able to meet the famous movie star in person.
A. It B. That
C. There D. This
12. When I entered the room, I saw him _____ in a front seat staring at a picture in a strange way.
A. to sit B. is sitting
C. sat D. sitting
13. Not only _____ about the food, but he also refused to pay for it.
A. he complained B. did he complain
C. he had complained D. he did complain
14. I am not very good _____ maths. Would you please work out the total cost of our trip?
A. in B. for
C. on D. at
15. It took them a long time to _____ the fire because of the strong wind.
A. put off B. take off
C. put out D. take out
16. Things will settle down as time goes by. They’ll never be the same, _____.
A. instead B. yet
C. though D. too
17. I _____ her my bicycle last month, but she has not returned it yet.
A. borrowed B. sent
C. gave D. lent
18. — I swam a kilometer today.
— Well _____ ! You must be very fit.
A. made B. done
C. worked D. kept
19. Clearly it is with great _____ that he admitted his mistakes in public.
A. reward B. response
C. request D. reluctance
20. The man _____ laughing at the idea of an invasion bringing about democracy.
A. burst out B. burst into
C. turned out D. turned into