1. I can’t help wondering ________ that has made her so excited.
A. what it is B. how it is
C. what is it D. how is it
2.________ his leg was badly injured, the boy managed to attend class every day.
A. If B. Unless
C. Although D. Because
3. Some 40 percent of the hired hands left before they ________ their term of service.
A. finish B. finished
C. would finish D. have finished
4. His best novel was written in ________ he called the “sweet new style” of the language.
A. that B. where
C. what D. which
5. I think if I ________ stay in Italy for another three months, we, Jim and I, might become good friends.
A. will B. shall
C. would D. were to
6. When I arrived she greeted me at the door, her kids all ________ behind.
A. standing B. stood
C. have been standing D. were standing
7. Across the continent of South America ________ the Amazon River.
A. lie B. lies
C. is lying D. lying
8. According to a recent official report, Britain’s economy grew ________ the first quarter of the year.
A. half as fast as B. half faster than
C. half fast as D. as half fast as
9. Mr. Smith fully shares the view of the speaker ________ every man is as good as his neighbor.
A. which B. whom
C. who D. that
10. Henry’s plan was ________ the couple to dinner at a nice restaurant and then ask them for their forgiveness.
A. inviting B. invited
C. to invite D. going to invite
11. Most students make a study plan ________ the beginning of the new term.
A. on B. in
C. from D. at
12. The family found it hard to ________ from the traditions of their own country and adapt to the new environment.
A. break away B. break down
C. break out D. break up
13. Three years ________ a long time to be cut off from contact with your friends.
A. are B. were
C. is D. be
14. I wonder why Alice ________ to us recently. We should have heard from her by now.
A. hasn’t written B. hadn’t written
C. didn’t write D. doesn’t write
15. No fund has been provided to build a system ________ reading fingerprints more efficiently.
A. good at B. keen on
C. concerned for D. capable of
16. Drying is the oldest type of food storage. Drying fruit sometimes ________ a completely new product.
A. turns into B. results in
C. turns from D. results from
17. The police with a group of experts arrived at the ________ of the accident in ten minutes.
A. sight B. point
C. scene D. space
18. The governor spoke to the earthquake victims, ________them that everything would be done to help them rebuild their homes.
A. providing B. assuring
C. comforting D. advising
19. In many countries, there aren’t sufficient water resources ________ for future development.
A. offered B. provided
C. existent D. available
20. The flight has been delayed for four hours ________ the foggy weather.
A. for fear of B. owing to
C. for the sake of D. according to
Long ago, the. Earth was covered in darkness. None of the creatures living there knew what daylight looked like.