1. He was educated at the local grammar school, after ______ he went on to Cambridge.
A. when B. what
C. which D. where
2. There’s no ______ to make an appointment. Just come to my office anytime after 10 in the morning.
A. time B. need
C. good D. chance
3. — Could I have a look at your essay to get a few ideas?
A. Sure. Why not? B. Yes, that’s right.
C. Don’t mention it. D. That sounds great.
4. Even if you fail the first time, you should ______ trying.
A. hold on B. go on
C. work out D. carry out
5. A tall man walked into the bar in a woollen sweater, a jacket ____ at his waist.
A. to tie B. tie
C. ties D. tied
6. My father is a businessman and is often away from home. Sometimes I wish that he ______ making less money.
A. will be B. has been
C. were D. is
7. Technology has indeed had a direct ______ on our life today.
A. change B. effort
C. effect D. role
8. ______ you stop working for a while, you will be tired out.
A. As B. Unless
C. If D. When
9. Biological science should be developed to do good ______ harm to people.
A. other than B. less than
C. better than D. rather than
10.______ it was getting dark, we decided to stop at a hotel for the night.
A. Since B. If
C. Though D. That