1. How many ______ are there in your neighborhood?
A. Jones' B. Joneses
C. Jone's D. Jonese
2. Where are my glasses? ______ on the desk over there.
A. They are B. It is
C. There are D. There is
3. He is the ______ when he is reading a novel alone at home.
A. happy B. more happy
C. happiest D. most happy
4. The teacher told the student to ______ his pronunciation.
A. take care of B. pay attention to
C. look after D. pay duty to
5. In spite of what we said, he refused to ______ to the police station.
A. give away B. give off
C. give himself D. give himself up
6. ______ you ______ War and Peace before?
A. Had, read B. Have, read
C. Are, reading D. Have, been reading
7. My mother wanted to know if I would mind ______ to look after myself.
A. leaving B. to be left
C. to leave D. being left
8. Since this is the first time she has made such a mistake,, you ______ forgive her.
A. could as well B. can as well
C. should as well D. might as well
9. Sunday is a holiday ______ most people do not go to work.
A. when B. that
C. what D. which
10. It is unlikely ______ he will become a manager in two years.
A. when B. which
C. that D. what
11. It ______ be a good film but it turned out to be a disaster.
A. is suppose to B. is supposed to
C. was suppose to D. was supposed to
12. The American Civil War ______ in 1861.
A. broke out B. broke down
C. broke away D. broke into
13. His eyesight is poor; he ______ wear glasses at least in class.
A. can B. must
C. may D. could
14. The doctor said that the patient had ______ at once.
A. to operate B. to be operated
C. to operate on D. to be operated on
15. The pop star has not yet and I doubt if she will appear.
A. turned on B. turned off
C. turned up D. turned out
16. It was dark and late. I was only half way there. It was ______ to get there on time.
A. out of question B. possible
C. out of the question D. important
17. He had nothing ______ an apple for lunch in order to lose weight.
A. for B. with
C. but D. besides
18. ______ we've done what you want, there is no reason for you to complain any more.
A. Now that B. Because
C. In case D. For fear that
19. He was deprived ______ the right to take care of his child.
A. from B. of
C. away D. off
20. ______, the president went from one country to another.
A. Traveling by plane B. To travel by plane
C. Having traveled by plane D. To have traveled by plane