1. The baby laughed ______ he understood what his mother said.
A. as if B. as
C. as yet D. like
2. ______ he said at the meeting was beyond our wildest expectation.
A. That B. What
C. Which D. Why
3. She could not help ______ when she heard the terrible news.
A. to cry B. cried
C. to have cried D. crying
4. This baby seldom cries ______ he is tired.
A. however B. whether
C. unless D. if
5. The job would require that he ______ at the factory at 7 o’clock every morning.
A. will be B. be
C. was D. is
6. Without his unselfish help, we ______ in our experiment.
A. should not succeed B. will not succeed
C. have not succeeded D. could not have succeeded
7. Where ______ hide themselves?
A. you think can the criminals B. do you think can the criminals
C. do you think the criminals can D. you think the criminals can
8. ______ that he had completed designing a new device of laser, we came to congratulate him on his success.
A. To have heard B. Having heard
C. Being heard D. Having been heard
9. When he returned to his seat in the waiting room, he found his luggage ______.
A. missed B. missing
C. being missed D. to be missed
10. The heavy rain ______, we went on with our journey and got there twenty minutes later.
A. was stopped B. stopping
C. having stopped D. being stopped
11. Energy can never be obtained from nothing, ______.
A. nor it can ever be destroyed B. nor can it ever be destroyed
C. nor can ever be destroyed D. nor ever can be destroyed
12. The man speaking at the platform was Dr. Wells, ______ the party was given.
A. in his honor B. for his honor
C. in whose honor D. for whose honor
13. Beethoven, the great musician, wrote nine symphonies in his life, ______ after he had lost his hearting.
A. most of them written B. most of which written
C. but most of which written D. which was most written
14. It was because he was in a dangerous condition ______ the doctor decided to operate on him.
A. that B. so that
C. so D. in which
15. No sooner had he finished the last bit of food ______ the waiter came and cleared the table.
A. then B. than
C. that D. thus