Friendship is unconditional and uncritical，based only on mutual respect and the ability to enjoy each other‘s company. These authority figures never saw the way one of us could do something outrageous， and the rest of us would joke about it for days. We could have fun doing absolutely nothing at all—because the (1)_______ we provided each other with was enough. Rather than discussing operas，Lewinsky，or the weather，we enjoyed just (2)_______ each other without any one of us trying to outsmart the others. Still，I realize that these adults had a(3)_______ to be concerned about the direction my friends were(4)_______; I also was concerned for them， but I wasn’t about to (5)_______ them.
Many times I would advise my friends that some activity may be (6)_______ or to think things through before doing something，but I would never claim to hold the moral high ground and to condescend to them. When Marvin would begin rolling joints， when Alisa would tell me she skipped school because of a hangover，or when Merriam would tell me that her new boyfriend was in a street gang，I expressed my discomfort with their (7)_______. However， I never (8)_______ them with the threat of taking my friendship away. Contrary to the commercials on television，you can have (9)______ who use drugs. In fact，probably everyone does without (10)______ it.
1. A. gift B. present C. company D. friendship
2. A. hanging around B. learning from C. communicating with D. joining in
3. A. prejudice B. point C. suggestion D. situation
4. A. giving B. coming C. heading D. facing
5. A. ignore B. upset C. blame D. leave
6. A. crazy B. dangerous C. boring D. important
7. A. action B. lessons C. words D. thoughts
8. A. force B. threaten C. persuade D. cheat
9. A. friends B. girlfriends C. classmates D. brothers
10. A. hearing B. recognizing C. realizing D. knowing
base on 在……的基础上 provided sb. with sth. 给某人提供某物
be concerned about 关心 hang around 闲荡
1. C 由首句可知，只要我们在一起(company) 就已经足够了
2. A 由上下文可知，大家只是享受那份闲来荡去(hang around)的惬意。
3. B 由其后作定语的不定式短语可知。
4. C 因direction 后是定语从句，所以要填表示“朝着某个方向行进”的heading.
5. D 从下文可看出，不管朋友有什么样的表现，我都不会和他们绝交(leave them)。
6. B 由前文的“提醒(advise)”和后文“三思而后行”可知，有些活动是“危险”的。
7. A 指上文列举的“吸大麻”、“逃学”、“交街上小混混做男友”等之类的不良“行为”。
8. B 由语境可知，是用绝交来“威胁”他们。
9. A 指任何人都有可能有不良行为的“朋友”。
10. C 由前句可知本句意为每个人都有这类朋友，只是没“意识到”而已。